Sidney Smith Commons (online)
Just like the Sidney Smith Commons (SSC) located at 100 St. George Street, the online SSC is dedicated to supporting the academic needs of undergraduate Arts & Science students.
The online SSC has been developed as a one-stop shop where students will find the resources and answers they are looking for in one place and in an easy-to-understand format.
In the online SSC students will find:
- Content and tools developed to help students achieve academic success
- Information about programs happening in the SSC and how they can participate
- Information on resources available for students across the University
- Live chat with our Sidney Smith Commons Assistants (CAs) — Chat directly with one of our CAs, Mondays – Thursdays, 10 am – 9 pm and Fridays, 10 am – 5 pm. Simply enter your question into the chat box and a CA will be there to support you. If we can’t support you right away over chat, we’ll support you in finding your answer online or directing you to the proper resource.
- For the Fall 2020 term, SSC Commons Assistants and Study Group Assistants are available online to provide peer support and academic wayfinding. In addition to the chat, you can connect with student-staff through Recognized Study Groups, Meet-to-Complete and @sidneysmithcommons Instagram account.
Lastly, the online SSC is intended to be a resource created for students and we encourage students to contribute to its success. If you feel like there is content that is missing that could help a fellow student, or if you would like to add to the existing content, please reach out. We’d love to hear from you!
Sidney Smith Commons (the space)
For Fall 2020, the SSC has re-opened as an independent study space for Arts & Science students access to physically-distanced study spaces. The SSC is currently not available to be booked for group study or use of collaborative learning technologies. SSC Programs, including Recognized Study Groups and Meet-to-Complete, have moved online.
The SSC is temporarily closed. Please check back here for our latest hours.
Students are supported by the Student Success Team – a dedicated group of over 20 undergraduates working in collaboration with full-time staff from the Office of the Registrar to support the activities, programs, and students in the Faculty of Arts & Science. This blended staffing model ensures that students remain at the core of the SSC and empowers student-centric ideas and decisions.
Working together with academic departments, the colleges, and central student life, the Student Success Team oversees the SSC – connecting students to resources, programming, and academic supports, thereby, creating a culture of learning, engagement, and collaboration.
Meet the team!
The Sidney Smith Commons staff work in a variety of roles to support you. Meet this year’s student staff.
Student Success Programs Assistants (student role)– support the development, delivery, and assessment of programs, events, and academic opportunities to support the success of Arts & Science students.
Student Study Group Assistants (student role)– are trained in study group facilitation techniques and assist with the development and support of the Recognized Study Groups (RSG) Program throughout the year.
Sidney Smith Commons Assistants (student role)– support the use of the Sidney Smith Commons and assist students with academic wayfinding, provide onsite equipment tutorials and manage space bookings.
Interested in getting involved?
Fill out this form and help us develop a better Sidney Smith Commons experience for you and your peers!