Research will be a big part of your undergraduate studies. The Faculty of Arts & Science is home to a large number of centres and institutes that are engaged in research supervision.
Undergraduate Opportunities in A&S:
- Research Opportunity Program (ROP)– 299Y and 399Y courses designed for second-year students
- Research Excursions Program (REP)– 398H and 398Y courses designed for third-year students
- Upper-year independent study and research courses
- Jackman Humanities Institute Undergraduate Fellowships and Jackman Scholars in Residence
Finding funding to support your endeavours could not be easier.
- Scholarship Sorter -use this sorter to research scholarships available to University of Toronto applicants and students.
- The Undergraduate Research Fund– fosters experience at the undergraduate level by providing you with an opportunity to develop a project of your own.
- NSERC USRA– you will have to apply for NSERC through a specific department, and the number of awards allocated to each department varies. Check departmental websites for updates starting in early January, but definitely look for potential Principal Investigators ahead of time and make sure that they are eligible to sponsor you through NSERC. Departments include Physics, Cell & Systems Biology, Physiology, and Ecology & Evolutionary Biology.
University of Toronto Libraries Undergraduate Research Prize – The U of T Libraries offer an award for research that undergraduate students have already done. This prize provides students with an opportunity to reflect on their information-seeking experience, showcase their research beyond the classroom, and promote scholarship excellence at the undergraduate level at University of Toronto.
Make sure to take note of funding timelines, application details, funding amounts and supervisory requirements!